September 17, 2023

Raising little women

As we walked into church I heard my 7 year old whisper: I hope I'm pretty enough. 

OH girl. First, you are beautiful and perfect just as you are, and I will tell you that as many times as you will listen to me. 

But second - my sweet girl, the world is going to say you're not pretty enough. Friends are going to tell you that. If you are looking for a human voice to reassure you, they will all at some point let you down.

Only one voice matters, and if you could learn at 7 to listen to that voice and ignore the others, you would save yourself so much heartache. Jesus says you are perfect, just the way you are. Jesus created every part of you, before you were even born. He says you are wonderfully made, and He made a plan for your life before it started. He knows every hair on your head - He designed it!

I know you have to make your own mistakes and learn your own lessons. I pray that I can help you through those battles and that you arrive on the other side with confidence in who and how God made you. 

Sweet girl, you won't be "enough" for the world. You don't have to be. Oh that I could help you understand without the years of insecurity in that process. Much love - and empathy - from your momma. 

1 comment: